After the passing of someone who is close to you, you might feel overwhelmed by all of the decisions you have to make and the details you have to plan. This planning can be even more challenging if your loved one didn’t have specific last wishes or plans in place to help their survivors with preparing for their funeral in Chicago, IL. If you’re unsure about where to start with planning, you should consider a few tips to help get you on the right track.
After the passing of a loved one, here are some steps you should follow as one of the people who is coordinating a funeral service:
- Consider wills and last wishes: Before you start planning or making any decisions about a funeral service, you should check the will of your loved one and consider their last wishes. A will is the best source of information about what your loved one wanted for their service, but you can also reference conversations that you had with your loved one regarding their last wishes.
- Decide what kind of service you want: You can choose between a funeral service, a memorial service or a celebration of life, depending on the wishes of your loved one. Funerals are typically more traditional burial services that happen shortly after someone has passed away. Memorial services and celebration of life services can both be planned for later dates.
- Ask for help: Planning a funeral or memorial service is a lot of work for just one person, so make sure you’re asking for and accepting help from other family members and loved ones. You can delegate tasks to different people based on each person’s abilities. Delegating responsibilities doesn’t just take the pressure off of you—it can also help people process their emotions by allowing them to feel more involved in the planning process.
- Plan a service and send out invitations: Since funerals and memorial services typically happen very soon after a death, it’s important to set a date and time and send out invitations as soon as possible. Make sure that you contact everyone who was close to the person who passed away to ensure they know when and where the service will be held.
- Plan the service: During the service itself, there are a lot of ways in which you can honor the person who has passed away. Slideshows, music and speeches are all great ways to reflect on the life of the deceased. Plan these different elements and decide who will be speaking during the service.
Need help preparing for a funeral in Chicago, IL?
For professional help with funeral or memorial service planning, reach out to Marik-Baken Funeral Services Ltd. Our funeral home has been dedicated to providing our clients with the best service possible for years. As a family owned and operated business, we are committed to delivering compassionate, personalized service to every client we work with. Whether you need help preparing a funeral in Chicago, IL for a loved one or you’re interested in pre-planning services, our team is here to help. Give us a call to find out more about what we have to offer.
Categorised in: Funeral Planning
This post was written by Writer